More and more, we’re hearing about the benefits of not shampooing daily. Yep, it sounds crazy but you can actually make it work—leading to better hair days and less time getting ready in the morning. Win-win!
But, if I’m being honest, it took awhile for me to get on board with the idea of not washing my hair every day. I kept telling myself all the reasons it wouldn’t work, only to realize that once I gave it a try it would be the best hair decision I’ve made in a long time. I’ve found that not shampooing every day keeps my hair looking vibrant and fresh longer, holds style better, and even gives my hair some natural shine and definition.
It took some trial and error of how to perfect a new weekly hair routine, but here’s how I get the most out of my wash and non-wash days:
- Dry Shampoo: Whether it be powder or spray you prefer, there’s no question that a dry shampoo can be a lifesaver on the days you’re not washing your hair. While it helps absorb oils and odors, it can also help the health of your hair by eliminating blow drying. My favorite is Bumble and bumble Prêt-à-powder Très Invisible Dry Shampoo.
- Dry Conditioner: Yes, you read that right. Dry conditioner is not as well-known as dry shampoo, but definitely a game changer if you think your hair feels a little more dull or drab on your non-wash days. Dry conditioner is a great way to add back in some softness, and tame flyaways without being heavy. It silkens, and smoothes the hair and it gives it that healthy glow.
- Non-wash pro-tip: Because my hair is always a little damp around the edges of my shower cap, it helps to make sure my hair is fully dry before spraying in any dry shampoo. If I have any rough areas (like cowlicks), I re-wet any spot that’s bothering me and re-dry that.
- Scalp Detox: Did someone say detox?! Ok, so on average I wash my hair twice a week. On Sundays I make sure to take a little extra time to rid my hair and scalp of all impurities, and product buildup. Before stepping in the shower, I spray Bumble and bumble Scalp Detox directly on my scalp. This fizzing/cooling foam with micellar water and salicylic acid helps remove product build up.
- Clarifier: Then in the shower, I use The Cleanse by Oribe. This clarifier uses volcanic ash to help polish away impurities without stripping any of my color and leaving my hair soft.
- Conditioner: I follow up with my favorite conditioner to finish up.
I only dry my hair once or twice a week, but when I do I make sure to use great heat protection. The Royal Blowout and Supershine Moisturizing Crème by Oribe is a great way to get my hair protection and shine that lasts until my next shampoo. I also use Bumble and bumble’s All Style Blow Dry Cream to help with the oil production for the days following. Once my hair is dry, I add in Dry Texturizing Spray by Oribe to give my hair a little help when curling or styling. The added texture helps lock in any curls before I finish it with Superfine Strong by Oribe.
Remember, everyone’s hair is different
My life is so much easier now that I’ve found a time-saving way to get my best head of hair, but not everything works the same way for everyone. Hair texture, oil production and needs can vary so widely, so if you need help finding the best solution for you, reach out or stop by the salon!
Arin Pedersen is Retail and Service Advisor at Cole’s Salon Eagan Station. She can be reached at 651-456-9454 or firstname.lastname@example.org.