Massage therapy offers physical and mental benefits ranging from stress reduction to pain relief. Preparing for a massage session involves more than just showing up. It’s about setting the stage for optimal relaxation and fully benefiting from the experience. Hydration, attire, punctuality, and communication are important elements to make the most out of your massage.
Here are essential tips to prep yourself before your service:
Prepare For Your Massage:
- Hydration Is Key: Start hydrating before your session to help flush out toxins and support muscle relaxation. Herbal teas or water are ideal choices.
- Wear Comfortable Attire: Opt for loose, comfortable clothing for post-massage relaxation.
- Arrive Early: Arriving 10-15 minutes in advance aids relaxation and gives time to settle in comfortably.
- Empty Your Bladder: It’s best to use the restroom before your massage to ensure comfort during the session.
- Communication Is Vital: Inform your therapist about specific concerns or areas needing special attention for a personalized experience.
What to Avoid Before a Massage:
- Avoid Sunburn: Massages are best avoided when your skin is sunburned due to skin inflammation and sensitivity.
- Limit Caffeine: Skip caffeinated drinks before your massage to enhance relaxation and prevent tension.
- Moderate Meals: Avoid large meals before your session to prevent discomfort during massage pressure.
- Rest Your Body: Refrain from intense physical activities a day or two before your massage for better relaxation.
- Postpone Lotions or Medications: Refrain from applying lotions or medications that may affect the massage experience.
Remember, what you do before your massage impacts your experience. Following these tips enhances the effectiveness of your massage, ensuring a more relaxed and beneficial session. Conversely, steering clear of certain activities and preparations ensures you receive the utmost benefit and comfort during your massage. Book your next massage and follow these tips to set the stage for a truly rejuvenating experience!
Jessica Edwards, LMT is a massage therapist at our Burnsville location. She joined the Cole’s Salon team in 2023.