So you’re thinking of making a big, big change to your look, maybe in time for the New Year? Awesome! Dramatic transformations are one of our favorite things to do, and they’re the reason we love shows like America’s Next Top Model. Sometimes, you just need a drastic change or a makeover to boost your mood and give you renewed confidence. We totally get it.
However, if you’re thinking of booking an appointment to cut a foot of hair or bleach your dark brunette curls white blonde, there are a few things to keep in mind before you settle into the salon chair.
- Definitely bring in inspiration photos, but remember that your favorite celebrity’s look might not quite work for your hair type and texture. What works for Kim Kardashian or Rihanna or Carrie Underwood might not quite work for you, so don’t get your heart set on a short, sleek crop if you’ve got thick curls. We’ll help you reach a midpoint and retain the vibe you love.
- What’s your daily routine like? Consider how you go about your day. Would a new cut or a high-maintenance color (hello, red!) change your routine drastically? If you can’t commit to spending extra time blowdrying or styling, or if you don’t want to buy a whole new color-protecting haircare system, you may want to rethink your makeover just a little.
- Don’t do something drastic when you’re feeling sad or bored. Yes, cutting your hair, getting extensions or dyeing your hair pink is fun, but if it’s coming from a place of uncertainty, you might hate it later. Be absolutely sure you’re ready!
- What are your favorite features? If you like your jawline, why not cut a bob? If you’ve got beautiful eyes, enhance them with a flattering hair color or a new lipstick.
- Think about a time you felt your most beautiful. Was it your wedding day? Prom? A random weekend night out on the town? What about that felt special to you? When you’re looking to make a change, you might want to look back and think about what looks have made you the happiest in the past. Maybe you had blonde hair as a kid and you’d like to get back to your natural shade. Maybe you are seeing your mother’s face when you look in the mirror and you’d like to cut your hair the way she had it at your age. You never know what will inspire you.
- Don’t freak out! So you’ve made your big change, debuted a selfie on Instagram and reveled in the compliments about your new hair color or cool cut. Awesome! But now you’re feeling a little unsure about your look without your stylist’s talented hands helping you make it look photo-ready every day. It’s OK to have doubts at first, but try to breath and give it a few days. Big changes sometimes take awhile to get used to.
We’re sure you’ll love your big change, but if you’re really feeling freaked out, give us a call and we’ll help you out with styling tips or product recommendations to get you back to feeling awesome. Because we know you are!
Looking for a professional cut, and a fresh color. Approaching 50 and going back to work need a new look. I am sporting long dishwater blonde hair pretty plain.